Global Environment Climate Change and Resilience Advisor
Do you have experience working on environment, climate change and resilience in programming with a rights-based approach and feminist approach? As an expert with technical knowledge in the field of environment, climate change and resilience (ECCR) you will join an exciting team of global senior advisors to lead the work on ECCR in We Effect. You will provide technical input and strengthen our capacity to integrate ECCR in our progamming with a rights-based and feminist approach. You will also have critical thinking, communication and presentation skills to work within the Technical Unit in Stockholm and the regional teams internationally to develop close coordination and cooperation with our programme staff in our regional offices and particularly the ECCR focal points in each region.
We Effect is a development organisation founded by the Swedish cooperative movement in 1958 to support the development of democratic organisations and societies. We Effect works in 25 countries in Asia, Europe, Latin America and Africa through our regional offices in partnership with local CSO’s, farmer organisations, cooperative federations and other democratic organisations. For more information, see www.weeffect.se.
Oversight of We Effect’s ECC Policy and Strategy:
• Work closely with other Global Advisors to oversee the implementation of We Effect’s Environment and Climate Change Policy and Strategy
• Contribute to, support and develop additional policies, strategies and positions regarding Environment, Climate Change and Resilience (ECCR)
• Gather experiences and develop new knowledge about how ECCR can be effectively developed, managed, monitored and followed-up in We Effect’s development programmes
• Provide ongoing capacity strengthening and technical guidance to the regions to implement ECCR across all programmes.
• Provide technical leadership and support to the Programme Officers in Stockholm, regional staff and partner organisations in planning and implementing ECCR across all programmes
• Host the ECCR Global Platform with colleagues from all regions
• Support ECCR focal points in all regions to test, improve and integrate tools for effective integration of ECCR at organizational and programmatic levels
Support to ensure We Effect is a learning organisation:
• Work closely with colleagues in the Technical Unit and Programme Officers in Stockholm to provide high quality, technical input into concept notes and proposals to ensure that lessons learned through monitoring, evaluation and learning of the ECCR integration shape project and programme design
• Provide quality assurance in the development of steering documents, program and project applications and reports
• Produce/contribute to reports illustrating We Effect’s impact including donor reports, concept notes, annual reports, articles etc.
Collaborating within the development sector as an ECCR expert:
• Represent We Effect at relevant events and conferences
• Lead and author key articles and communication products reflecting on rights-based approaches to ECCR programming and practice
• Participate in ECCR working groups and communities
• University degree within a relevant field or equivalent knowledge acquired through other means.
• At least 5 years experience working with development cooperation from a rights-based, feminist perspective
• At least 5 years of working in the ‘Global South’
• Excellent theoretical understanding and practical experience of programming on ECCR
• Documented experience from work with policy, thematic and/or knowledge development
• Experience of working on project/proposal development and providing technical guidance on project design
• Excellent conceptual and theoretical understanding of the rights-based approach and civil society development
• Experience of providing capacity strengthening, mentoring, coaching support and facilitation
• Excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken
• Language skills in Spanish or Portuguese is a plus.
Desired strong personal competencies
• Analytical and problem-solving skills
• Communication and pedagogical skills
• Flexibility and ability to adapt work to shifting contexts, situations and needs
• Ability to work with high level of independence
• Ability to contribute to a team and support collaboration
• Ability to deliver results and meet dead-lines
Location of position
The position is part of the Technical Unit within the International Department. However, it is possible to be based in one of our regions if you have the right to work in that country.
The Advisor will be required for travel at least three times per year.
The employment is a permanent position with a six months’ probation period. Start date as soon as possible.
We Effect strive for diversity in the organisation and welcome applicants regardless of gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity, religious belief, or disability.
Individuals based in one of the We Effect regions are strongly encouraged to apply.