Methods, Knowledge and Learning Advisor
Are you a feminist with a track record in knowledge generation, learning and reflection? As an expert in participatory approaches to monitoring, evaluation and learning with experience in capacity strengthening and facilitation you will work in a team of technical advisors to strengthen our technical development and learning through a rights-based approach and a feminist lens. You will also have critical thinking, communication and presentation skills to work within the Technical Unit in Stockholm and the regional teams internationally to develop participatory approaches to generating knowledge and learning for strategic dissemination.
Overall objective for position
This is an exciting opportunity to join an experienced and growing team of advisors as the Methods, Knowledge and Learning Advisor. The function is to (1) develop and implement consistent and high quality methods for programme planning, monitoring and evaluation (PME) practices in We Effect’s development programmes (2) collect and collate knowledge and learning from all of our regions (3) develop systems for learning, reflection and developing our programming practice. The role will include providing practical support to the PME focal points in the regions, supporting the development and implementation of overall PME structures and methods that are consistent with a rights-based approach to effectively contribute to learning, accountability and quality reporting.
The role requires close coordination and cooperation with programme staff in our regional offices as well as with advisors in the Stockholm office.
Oversight of We Effect’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Framework:
• Work closely with the Head of the Technical Unit to strengthen and implement a comprehensive strategy and toolkit for We Effect’s monitoring, evaluation and learning.
• Identify key appropriate tools and methodologies to demonstrate programme impact and support continuous programme improvement
• Co-host the PME working group with the Programme Advisor
• Support PME focal points in all regions to test, improve and integrate all the tools for effective monitoring, evaluation and learning
• Provide ongoing capacity strengthening and strategic guidance to the regions for continuous monitoring, evaluation and learning
• Foster a community of learning within We Effect with regional offices and with partner organisations and build inter and cross-regional learning opportunities and spaces via in person or virtual interactions
Support to project design, donor reports and publications:
- Provide technical leadership and support to the Programme Officers in Stockholm, regional staff and if necessary partner organisations in planning and implementing MEL systems and activities, data-based programme decision-making and results reporting, develop tools and provide training as needed
- Support management of We Effect knowledge building and learning projects related to understanding the organisation’s impact and contribution to change
- Work closely with colleagues in the Technical Unit and Programme Officers in Stockholm to provide high quality, technical input into concept notes and proposals to ensure that lessons learned through monitoring, evaluation and learning shape project and programme design
- Produce/contribute to reports illustrating We Effect’s impact including donor reports, concept notes, annual reports, articles etc.
Collaborating within the development sector as an MEL expert:
• Represent We Effect as relevant events and conferences
• Lead and author key articles and communication products reflecting on feminist approaches to MEL practice
• Participate in MEL working groups and communities
• You will be highly motivated and driven
• Analytical and problem-solving skills
• Flexibility and ability to adapt work to shifting contexts, situations and needs
• Ability to work with high level of independence
• Ability to contribute to a team and support collaboration
• Ability to deliver results and meet dead-lines
• University degree within a relevant field
• At least 5 years experiencing working in the Global South for local civil society or an INGO
• At least 7 years experience of qualified work in the development sector
• Excellent theoretical understanding and practical experience of planning, monitoring and evaluation methods from a feminist perspective as used in development practice
• Experience of working with and implementing knowledge and learning systems and approaches from a feminist perspective
• Experience of working on project/proposal development providing technical guidance on project design
• Excellent conceptual and theoretical understanding of the rights-based approach and civil society development
• Experience of providing capacity strengthening, mentoring, coaching support and facilitation
• Excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
• Experience from cooperative development work
• Experience of working with Environment, climate change and resilience (ECCR) or conflict-sensitive approach
• Experience of working with SIDA or EU grants
• Good understanding of both written and spoken Spanish, Portuguese and/or Swedish
Location of position
The position is part of the Technical Unit within the International Department. However, it is possible to be based in one of our regions if you have the right to work in that country.
The Advisor will be required for travel at least three times per year.
The employment is a permanent position with a six months’ probation period. Start date as soon as possible.
We Effect strive for diversity in the organisation and welcome applicants regardless of gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity, religious belief, or disability.
Individuals based in one of the We Effect regions are strongly encouraged to apply.
Information about the position and the recruitment process