Regional Communications Officer for Latin America
DateApril 30, 2020
We Effect works in 25 countries in Asia, Europe, Latin America and Africa through our regional offices in partnership with local CSO’s, farmer organisations, cooperative federations and other democratic organisations.
We Effect in Latin America is present in and implements country development programmes in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Colombia, and Bolivia.
As Regional Communications Officer in We Effect Latin America you are offered a wide and creative role in an international setting. You will work with colleagues and partners within Latin America and Sweden to create the best possible ways to communicate our work and increase awareness, conduct advocacy work, and support our resource mobilisation. The position is placed in the Regional Office and reports directly to the Regional Director.
As Regional Communications Officer you are expected to work independently and proactive with both strategic and operational communications work. You will be responsible for all communication activities in the region, internal communication, and have a driving role in advocacy and awareness raising. You will work together with our partner organisation to support them in their communication and advocacy activities.
In this position you are also working in close collaboration with the Marketing Department at the Stockholm Office. You will be responsible to produce communications material aimed at Swedish target groups, as well as build relationships between We Effect Latin America and our Swedish Member Organisations.
All communication and advocacy efforts are guided by We Effect’s strategy and budget, and it will be your responsibility to ensure your work falls within these requirements, as well as other regulations and project-specific requirements. The position requires travelling within Latin America and to Sweden.
Examples of tasks
• Initiate and coordinate efforts to increase rural and regional awareness of We Effect’s and partner organisations’ work.
• Ensure that communication activities are adapted to the relevant channels, as well as the information needs of partner organisations and institutional donors in the region.
• Review and update the region’s communication strategy.
• Strengthen the competence and capacity of staff in the region as well as partner organisations by offering communication trainings tailored to the region’s specific needs.
• Continuously produce publications, activity newsletters, case studies, results, testimonies, photos and films that shows We Effect’s programmes to target audiences, stakeholders and partners.
• Actively work with the media and programme team to promote We Effects visibility via local and regional media platforms.
• Provide support to resource mobilisation and policy change efforts by stronger sector positioning through mapping visibility needs and donor communications needs.
• Continuous media monitoring and political analysis of the region for advocacy efforts in Sweden and at global level.
• Maintain and update the Latin American web and the Latin American part of the Global Webpage.
• Provide guidance on branding requirements in the region, and implement We Effect’s communications brand policy across all internal and external products and materials.
• Support the Regional Director with the proactive and operational crisis communication as need arises.
As Regional Communications Officer you are independent and mature in your profession. As your tasks are divided between Latin America and Sweden it is of great importance that you are responsive and able to adapt your approach and priorites. You need to have the ability to communicate to different target groups and understand the wants and needs of the same. You need to have excellent organisational, scheduling and planning skills and the ablility to meet deadlines.
As a person you are positive and curious, you enjoy new challenges and working in a dynamic and always changing environment. You are interested in current affairs and share We Effect’s vision of a sustainable and just world free from poverty.
• Degree in communication, journalism, media studies, public relations, marketing or related field.
• Minimum of 3 years’ professional experience working with communications, public relations, marketing, events promotion, journalism trades, media or similar.
• Advanced written and spoken knowledge in professional Spanish and English.
• Experience working with communication for an NGO/INGO or similar.
• Experience adapting your communication for international target groups.
• Experience working with different media platforms, digital, social media, printed etc.
• Experience in photography and filming with smart phone.
• Experience of conducting interviews.
•Ability to work independently with high level of confidence and confidentiality
• Excellent computer skills and experience working with MS Office applications.
• Awareness of current political and social affairs in the region.
•Master’s degree in communication, journalism, media studies, public relations, marketing or related field.
•Experience in working with fundraising.
•Experience working with Adobe Creative Suit.
•Experience working with WordPress.
•Established network and capacity to maintain strategic relationships with media and development cooperation actors.
•Experience producing content for the Swedish audience.
• Membership or affiliation to a relevant professional network.
•Knowledge of the Swedish context and development cooperation.
•Knowledge in Swedish.
Your application documents need to be in English. Please include a work sample in your application. Applications that does not include the required application documents will not be considered. Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.
The employment is a two-year fixed-term contract, with the possibility of prolongation. The position is open to both national and international applicants. You need to be able to recive a work permit in Guatemala and travel within the region. You are expected to be available from June or as soon as possible.
We Effect strive for diversity in the organisation and welcome all applicants.