We Effect is recruiting Field Officer/Facilitator in Skopje office
DateApril 16, 2021
We Effect is a development organisation founded by the Swedish cooperative movement in 1958 to support the development of democratic organisations and societies. In our international development cooperation programmes, we are applying a human rights-based approach supporting people living in poverty to secure their rights.
We Effect works in 25 countries in Asia, Europe, Latin America and Africa through our regional offices in partnership with local CSOs, farmer organisations, cooperative federations and other democratic organisations. For more information, see .
We Effect Regional Office for Europe was established in 2017 in Skopje, North Macedonia. Europe region is supporting 11 partner organisations in the region under the programme Empower Europe. The regional team currently consists of 8 staff members and is based in Skopje. The support is directed for North Macedonia, Albania, Kosovo, Bosnia & Herzegovina and Moldova.
With financing from Sida, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, a new project for rural development aiming for a Market System Development (MSD) approach is being launched in North Macedonia, in collaboration with several national organisations in North Macedonia.
We Effect is now recruiting a Field Officer/Facilitator to join the project team in North Macedonia with focus on the MSD project Income Increase and Socio-Economic Empowerment of Vulnerable and Marginalized Groups from Rural and Sub-Urban Areas 2021-2023, IISEE.
The MSD Field Officer/Facilitator will be responsible for facilitating change to improve the existing market systems and value chains in the project’s selected areas in North Macedonia.
You will work through local and project partners and stakeholders in order to achieve more effective impact for the poor and marginalized groups to introduce the MSD approach.
Based in Skopje, the MSD Facilitator will be required to travel within North Macedonia.
The MSD Facilitator will be part of the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) and coordinate all activities with the PIU. The PIU will consist of the regional management, project manager, facilitators, co-facilitators, monitoring and result measurement (MRM) persons and finance and admin personnel.
To succeed in this position your understanding, your analysis and your staying continuously informed about our partners and the operating environment is a key.
You are confident to work will all stakeholders and sectors related to the rural and semi-urban areas in the project.
You have clear and agreed‐on expectations with partners on everything from ethical standards to roles & responsibilities of each party to benchmarks & terms of engagement.
You have understanding of the underlying institutional causes of negative development outcomes, as well as methods of intervening in market systems to achieve poverty reduction on a sustainable basis.
You are a good communicator and knows how to stimulate local ownership. You can work independently as well as in different team settings.
We do not expect you to have experience of MSD approach, all necessary training will be provided for you. If you do have MSD experience it will considered as a merit.
Example of tasks
The MSD Field Officer/Facilitator will work closely with the co-facilitators appointed from the project partners and with the external experts in MSD on market analysis and intervention design, business model development, piloting and intervention scaling, in order to achieve quality results in the following areas:
- Provide advice concerning how to achieve a sustainable development impact for poor and disadvantaged people through the promotion of financially viable market system models, working in cooperation with private sector stakeholders in the targeted market systems; this will require the MSD Facilitator to:
- Analyse how the existing market system is failing poor people, including rural women and youth, Roma minority and analyse what is causing the failure;
- Identify market trends, changes, and risks, as well as identify how to adapt interventions that can quickly respond to any change in market conditions;
- Test interventions and learn from experience so that successful activities can be scaled-up whilst unsuccessful activities can be either adjusted or closed down;
- Support the development of a monitoring and result measurement (MRM) system support the implementation of all project trainings, workshops, pilot activities etc.;
- Provide coaching to project stakeholders that emphasizes strategic collaboration and behavioural change among market actors;
- Work closely with producers’ groups to develop strategies, work plans and interventions that are focused on market systems, and based on market analysis/assessments;
- Ensure information and lessons learned from project activities are shared with key stakeholders;
- Contribute to meeting the project implementation deliverables.
- Project management, business administration degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience in rural development.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office and internet-based applications.
- Being fully computer literate, as well as fluent in English language.
- Proven ability to solve problems creatively.
- Strong familiarity with project implementation methodologies.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and extremely resourceful.
- Work permit in North Macedonia.
- Driving license.
- Oral and written communication skills in national minority languages
- Previous experience from MDS approach projects
The employment is a two-year contract, with possibility of prolongation including a six months’ probation period. You are expected to be available from 31 May 2021 or sooner.
This position is dependent on the final decision of funds from the back-donor.
We look forward to receiving your thoughtful application. Your time in preparing your application is much appreciated, however only appropriately qualified candidates of interest will be contacted.
We Effect works actively with diversity and inclusion in the organisation. We welcome applicants regardless of sex, gender identity or expression, race, colour, ethnicity, religious belief, political opinion, national extraction, social origin, HIV/AIDS status, age, disability, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, and/or trade union membership or activities.
For more information
Anneli Leina, Regional Director anneli.leina(at)weeffect.org
Sasho Angelovski, Programme Director sasho.angelovski(at)weeffect.org