We Effect is recruiting Financial Controller in Skopje office
DateMarch 26, 2021
We Effect is a development organisation founded by the Swedish cooperative movement in 1958 to support the development of democratic organisations and societies. In our international development cooperation programmes, we are applying a human rights-based approach supporting people living in poverty to secure their rights.
We Effect works in 25 countries in Asia, Europe, Latin America and Africa through our regional offices in partnership with local CSOs, farmer organisations, cooperative federations and other democratic organisations. For more information, see .
We Effect Regional Office for Europe was established in 2017 in Skopje, North Macedonia. Europe region is supporting 11 partner organisations in the region under the programme Empower Europe. The regional team currently consists of 8 staff members and is based in Skopje. The support is directed for North Macedonia, Albania, Kosovo, Bosnia & Herzegovina and Moldova.
With financing from the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, Sida, a new project aiming for a Market System Development (MSD) approach is being launched in North Macedonia, with support to several national organisations in North Macedonia.
We Effect is now recruiting a Financial Controller as part of the project team with main responsibility for North Macedonia, based in Skopje.
The position is new under the MSD project and the main responsibilities are to ensure a professional and efficient financial management of We Effect MSD project, quality assurance and support to partner organisations in North Macedonia.
The position is part of the regional team and assumes close collaboration with the members in the project team under supervision of the Regional Financial Controller.
The Financial Controller will also be supporting the regional team in developing and document processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls and donor specific regulations.
To succeed in this role you are interested to gain experience and contribute to a good working environment in an international organization with vast experience supporting development projects. You are sharing the values of We Effect. You have some experience from the NGO sector with finance and administration for projects and are ready to take on the challenge to build up a strong and efficient financial and administrative routine for the project. You have the ability to build good relations, comfortable to work independently as well as part of a team. You have knowledge of accounting principles and procedures and experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process. You are familiar with usage of accounting software user and have excellent administration skills.
You have a sense for details, are solution oriented and able to work deliverables towards deadlines. You actively contribute to develop your own role and function for a smooth implementation of the project. When the situation allows, you are willing and able to travel in the country. We Effect´s working language is English, you must be a proficient user and comfortable using English in an everyday setting.
Example of tasks
- Ensure compliance with specific donor regulations, as well as general good practices and international accounting standards.
- Consolidated financial reporting to Regional Office.
- Preparing financial reports to donors in accordance with signed agreements.
- Plan, carry out and follow up financial compliance monitoring and capacity building of partner organisations in North Macedonia.
- Responsible for archiving of financial documentation in accordance with local laws and We Effect regulations.
- Responsible for the consolidation, exchange rates handling/monitoring, liquidity planning, bank, reconciliations, ensuring the quality of supporting documentation etc.
- Maintain a close dialogue with Regional Financial Controller and project team regarding the follow-up of budgets, periodic budget revisions, financial reports and requests for funds.
- Monitor procurement processes in all levels of the project.
- Coordinate and support the annual financial audit process, securing audit deliverables are produced as per contract and audit plan.
- University degree or equivalent in economy, business or related field.
- Minimum three years experience in financial management and administration of projects.
- Competency in Microsoft Office application preferably advanced use of Excel.
- Knowledge or experience in Enterprise resource planning (ERP) system.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and Macedonian.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to contribute to the positive reputation of the organisation.
- Work permit in North Macedonia.
- Driving licence.
- Oral and written communication in national minority languages.
- Previous experience from MSD approach project.
The employment is a two-year contract, with possibility of prolongation and a six months probation period. You are expected to be available from 17 May 2021 or sooner.
This position will be subject for final funding decision from the back-donor.
We look forward to receiving your thoughtful application. Your time in preparing your application is much appreciated, however only appropriately qualified candidates of interest will be contacted.
We Effect works actively with diversity and inclusion in the organisation. We welcome applicants regardless of sex, gender identity or expression, race, colour, ethnicity, religious belief, political opinion, national extraction, social origin, HIV/AIDS status, age, disability, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, and/or trade union membership or activities.
For more information
Anneli Leina, Regional Director anneli.leina(at)weeffect.org
Marija Trpevska, Regional Financial Controller marija.trpevska(at)weeffect.org